Kyle and Tonya Crane

Daisypath

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Prophet's Advice

My cousin had this excerpt on her blog that President Benson wrote in 1987. Since his words are coming to pass now, I thought I would share what he wrote too. This is just another reason why we should try so hard to follow the prophets every advice....It really and truely IS coming from God. He KNOWS what is coming and what we need.

Pay Thy Debt, and Live By President Ezra Taft Benson

"Many people do not believe that serious recession will ever come again. Feeling secure in their expectations of continuing employment and a steady flow of wages and salaries, they obligate their future income without thought of what they would do if they should lose their jobs or if their incomes were stopped for some other reason. But the best authorities have repeatedly said that we are not yet smart enough to control our economy without downward adjustments. Sooner or later these adjustments will come.""Another reason for increase in debt is even deeper and causes greater concern. This is the rise of materialism, as contrasted with commitment to spiritual values. Many a family, in order to make a “proper showing,” will commit itself for a larger and more expensive house than is needed, in an expensive neighborhood. Almost everyone would, it seems, like to keep up with the Joneses. With the rising standard of living, that temptation increases with each new gadget that comes on the market. The subtle, carefully planned techniques of modern advertising are aimed at the weakest points of consumer resistance. As a result, there is a growing feeling, unfortunately, that material things should be had now, without waiting, without saving, without self-denial." June, 1987 Ensign

4 comments:

Steven and Mindy Raisor said...

Tonya! You are about to have a baby that is so exciting and a girl by the looks of it! Let me know when you have her and I'll bring you guys dinner. Congrats on the baby =)

Clarissa B. said...

Hey Tonya! This is Clari, we used to work at Deseret Book together! How are you!? Im so happy I found your blog! I actually know Kyle and found your blog through Brittany Calkins. I am friends with Kyle's little sister, we went to Highschool together and our families are in the same Stake. Congrats on the baby! Im so jealous your almost done! (or maybe already had her! :) ) Im pregnant too! But I'm not due until January. Its only 8 weeks away but seems like forever! I hope everything is ok- love ya!

Clarissa B. said...

Your so sweet! :) I can't wait until you have her! Are you guys living here in AZ and how did you meet?

Adriane said...

Hi Tonya!

This is Adriane (one of Sheena's Wilkins Cousins...the dark one, he,he). I hope you don't mind, I checked up on your blog from Shannon's to see how you were doing.

I just wanted to say I love the quote you posted from President Benson. Thanks for sharing it.

Oh yeah and CONGRATULATIONS on the forthcoming baby!